St. Joseph Parish
Interior and exterior church building repair and renovation
Civic, Historic Renovation, Non-Profit, Special Projects
St. Joseph Parish church, built in 1930, is a classic Art Deco building with a landmark designation. The structure houses a ten-story bell tower and a cathedral rising five stories at its peak. The bell tower on the west façade was the highest point in Seattle for many years.
Long-deferred repairs had become critical, but funds were limited. The primary focus was on windows, including historically significant stained-glass windows, exterior repairs, and restoring the south entrance to its historical appearance.
Every decision was made through the lens of longevity and legacy, based on an exhaustive field study of the entire façade including over 140 windows. Through careful analysis, W.G. Clark found several ways to minimize costs and add additional scope.
The large stained-glass St. Cecilia and St. Mary windows were the focal point for the project. These required complete removal, rebuild and reinstallation, along with significant repair and refurbishment of the St. Peter and grand east rose windows. We partnered with skilled carpenters, laborers, glaziers, painters and masons who understood the old-world techniques needed for stained-glass restorations and careful masonry repairs, as well as the delicate nature of working on a 90-year-old landmarked cathedral.